|
| 14 Aug 2013 06:00 PM |
Twin roadside bombs exploded in the Iraqi city of Baquba on Wednesday, killing 14 people and wounding 26, police said, the latest in a wave of summer attacks close to the capital Baghdad.
One bomb detonated in a cafe in the center of Baquba, 65 km (40 miles) northeast of Baghdad, while the other explosion hit an ice cream shop on a commercial street, police said.
Al Qaeda has claimed responsibility for similar attacks in the past week in which scores of Iraqi civilians were killed during celebrations marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Iraq is experiencing some of its worst violence in at least five years.
Earlier on Wednesday, Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki gave a defiant response to the Ramadan bombings, promising in a speech to hunt down those behind the wave of attacks.
Al Qaeda's merged Iraq and Syria branch has said recent attacks were in response to a security crackdown launched by Baghdad. |
|
|
| Report Abuse |
|
| |